Local help & advice

Where to find help with issues such as staying warm, power outages, flooding, foodbanks, energy costs, Council bin collections, roads, environmental health and the Police.  

Disaster support

During major incidents - storms and power outages etc 

Advice from Aberdeenshire Council: "During an incident you may be homebound for an extended period, potentially without electricity. It is useful to make sure you have basic supplies in stock if you can. Plan supplies for as long as possible, up to 72 hours if you are able to."

Supplies could include:
- canned and dried food
- bottled water
- medicines
- torches
- radio and batteries
- a portable gas cooker (please use it safely because there is a co2 risk if used incorrectly)
- pet food
- warm clothes
- well-stocked first aid kit

More information in the Aberdeenshire Council ready for winter leaflet

Electricity supplies

If you have lost power, you can report or check for power outages using the Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) power tracker tool.


Find out where to get sandbags from Aberdeenshire Council

Sign up for free flood alerts for your home or business on the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)  

Latest flooding updates on SEPA's floodline page

Water supplies

Find out what's happening in your area and sign up for alerts on the Scottish Water website.

If you are on a private water supply and have no water, contact 0808 196 3384. This Aberdeenshire Council helpline and you will be passed to Environmental Health who will assist you. 

Energy costs and staying warm

Local warm spaces

Balmedie Hub and Community Larder at The Wee Kirk (Balmedie)
Open on Mondays from 10am to 2pm.  Everyone is welcome to come in for a tea or coffee, chat, meet friends and neighbours. Free Community larder with toiletries, non perishables food items is also available.  

The organising group hope that the Hub "...can provide a place for people to meet, play games, swap books, find someone to have a chat with…  many of us have been stuck inside and unsure about coming out after Covid and now with the Cost of Living Crisis, it’s important we can lean on Community for support."

Warm spaces across Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire

Interactive map of Aberdeenshire warm spaces 
Find facilities providing warm spaces this winter across Aberdeenshire, information collated by Aberdeenshire Voluntary Action

List of local warm spaces in Formartine
Find local facilities providing warm spaces this winter across Formartine, information collated by Aberdeenshire Council

Interactive map and directory of local warm spaces in Aberdeen 
Find facilities providing warm spaces this winter across Aberdeen City, information collated by Aberdeen City Council

Government support

BBC news article - cost of living payments 
BBC news article with breakdown of the Government's energy rebate, amounts to be paid, how the rebate will be paid and who qualifies for support.

UK Government - guidance on the cost of living payments
Eligibility, payment amounts and when they will be paid, applies to England, Scotland and Wales.


"Scarf is a charity/social enterprise delivering a range of services to householders, communities, and businesses throughout the North East....  For over 35 years we have been offering free and impartial energy saving advice to help people lower their fuel bills and carbon emissions."

The Scarf home energy advice team offer support on understanding heating controls and energy bills, tariff switching, Warm Home Discount applications, and grants and schemes for improvements to your property.

The service is open to owner occupiers, private tenants and local authority and council tenants.

Phone: 0808 129 0888
Email Info@scarf.org.uk
Website: www.scarf.org.uk

Warmer Homes Scotland

"The Scottish Government’s Warmer Homes Scotland programme offers funding and support to households struggling to stay warm and keep on top of energy bills."

Find out more about the programme, who can apply and what support is available.

Energy Saving Trust

"Energy Saving Trust is an independent organisation – working to address the climate emergency."

Read the Trust's advice on ways to save money on your bills and financial help available.  

Cost of living support

Aberdeenshire Council

Aberdeenshire Council cost of living help and advice
Aberdeenshire Council advice including help with living costs and bills, Council Tax, housing, travel, employment and training, foodbanks, mental health, childcare and schools, and benefits

Citizens Advice Scotland

Citizens Advice Scotland website
Citizens Advice can help with money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice. Find out more on their website. 

Local foodbanks

Aberdeenshire North Foodbank

Aberdeenshire North Foodbank have a center in Ellon that Belhevie, Balmedie, Blackdog, Whitecairns and Potterton residents can use.  Everyone who comes to the foodbank for emergency food needs to have a valid foodbank voucher. You can find how who can help you with vouchers on the foodbank website.

Aberdeenshire North Foodbank - how to get help

Aberdeensire North Foodbank locations - Ellon, Inverurie, Huntly, Peterhead, Fraserburgh

Instant Neighbour foodbank and advice service 

The Instant Neighbour foodbank is open to anyone in Aberdeen city and Aberdeenshire. Instant Neighbour also offer welfare advice by phone.

Foodbank - St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen. No referral is required, each adult in a household will need to register individually with Instant Neighbour.

Foodbank opening hours - Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm, and 2pm to 4pm.

Find out more on the Instant Neighbour website

School uniform costs

Help with school uniform costs is available from Aberdeenshire Council.

On the Council's website you can find out:
- if you are eligible
- how to apply
- how the grants are paid
- buying school uniform
- who to contact for help and advice


Waste management, roads, street lighting, housing

Information from Aberdeenshire Council

Aberdeenshire Council waste management
Includes bins, recycling and more

Aberdeenshire Council roads
Includes fault reporting service (broken street lights), list of upcoming road maintenance and more

Aberdeenshire Council roadworks
Includes list of road maintenance, how to set up your tailored email alerts for roadworks and more

Aberdeenshire Council reporting dog fouling
Report dog fouling 

Aberdeenshire Council Housing Online portal
Apply for council housing and if you're a tenant check your rent, view your balance, see current charges and your full statement online.

There is a lot more information, a search and an online chat tool on the Aberdeenshire Council website 

Environmental issues 

Information from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) and  Aberdeenshire Council

If you need to report an environmental incident, defined by SEPA as
"An environmental event is an incident which has, or may have, an environmental impact." you can do this using the SEPA website reporting tool or by calling the SEPA pollution hotline on 0800 80 70 60

Please remember that SEPA guidance is to notify emergency services when there is an immediate threat to life, health and/or property.

Aberdeenshire Council environmental health
Includes environmental health, noise and light pollution,  septic tanks, food safety, contaminated land and more

Police Scotland & Crime Stoppers

Police Scotland's frequently asked questions (FAQ) tool

How to contact Police Scotland
Includes information on the 101 phone service, 999 emergency service, local Police stations and public counter opening hours

Police Scotland - online contact form
This form can be used to get in touch with Police Scotland for issues of a non-serious nature.  If your enquiry is urgent or you wish to report an ongoing incident please telephone 101. Phone 999 if your matter requires an immediate or emergency response.

How to contact Crime Stoppers to report anonymously

Local defibrillators 

There are five public access defibrillators across our settlements.  The locations can be found on the Belhelvie Community First Responders Facebook page.

Community Council

If you need to get in touch with us at the Community Council please email, call or Facebook message us. Please visit our get in touch page for our contact details. 

Coronavirus help and advice

We have put together information about local community, Aberdeenshire and Scottish Government help during the pandemic.  Please visit our Coronavirus help and advice page for more information.


Third Monday of the month
Venue on our meeting page Meeting starts at 7pm